He almost burn the house down!

Yesterday was pretty warm after the afternoon rain so PiggyBeng decided to switch on the a/c in the living room and watch some movies. Before he closed the door between the living room and the dining room, he went to light up the burner and heat up the soup in the pressure cooker. He apparently put on ‘high’ heat as he thought he wanted to let it boil faster.

He then walked into the living room and lie down on the sofa watching the movie with us. He did not tell me he was heating up the soup. The volume from our home theater system was pretty loud so we can’t hear anything except the sound from the movie.

After almost an hour (I think) or at least 45 minutes, I smelt burnt smell coming to the living room. I turned to PiggyBeng who was almost half asleep lying down on the sofa if he was cooking something? He jumped up! And I was like…. OH NO!!!!!!

We ran to the kitchen and there were smoke filling part of the room! The pressure cooker were emitting black smoke! PiggyBeng quickly switch off the burner and release the pressure cooker’s valve and let all the pressure out’ The entire house smelt of burning smell which really yucky… given my current condition when my nose is extra sensitive.

First thing PiggyBeng said was ‘Die! The rubber is gone!’ referring to the rubber on the pressure cooker’s cover. I don’t know what he did after that as he told me to leave and not to inhale the smoke which might be toxic. While I was opening up all the windows, our neighbour came over to ask methere was something burning so I told her what happened.

PiggyBeng spent almost an hour cleaning the pressure cooker from burnt corn on the cobs and peanuts. It was corn soup we had that day. Everything almost turn into charcoal remains except a few corn on the cobs. I did not get to snap a pic… which I should to remind PiggyBeng of his carelessness!!!!!

It was only a few days ago I was talking about PiggyBeng boiling soup and we have this accident. I was glad the pressure cooker did not explode though we have heard of many of such stories. The pressure cooker did not have any damage except a blacken bottom inside and a burnt valve cap from the smoke/steam. I must say kudos to Tefal for creating such a good pot with admirable technology.

One thing after this incident, I am having qualm’s with PiggyBeng’s kitchen attitude! Obviously he’s getting old!!! I told him I will either get him a timer to hang around his neck or tie one of those cardboard displays around his neck so he would not forget he’s cooking something!

Advertisements

About Angeleyes

Daily bites of a full time mom searching for a space to rediscover her potentials in her roles as a mom, wife and an entrepreneur.
This entry was posted in Events, Family, PJT-A, Rants, Weekends. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to He almost burn the house down!

  1. chinnee says:

    timer is safe..me too having some prob remembering boiling things behind!

  2. Merryn says:

    oh dear! luckily nothing major happened! a timer is way safer! πŸ™‚

    Merryns last blog post..For All Things Wonderful

  3. aiyo…dangerous, next time put an alarm, so manage to get the spare parts for the pot?

    Stephanie Koks last blog post..Sunday Jumbo Sales at Tabernacle of David

  4. aiyo, luckily everybody is safe and sound.

    Malaika’s mummys last blog post..This Saturday

  5. huisia says:

    that’s why i was told don’t buy those unknown brand of pressure cooker, hehe..now i know tefal is good πŸ™‚

  6. whoisbaby says:

    hehee use a sticky note on the forehead lar. hehhee j/k. timer sounds like a good reminder.

    whoisbabys last blog post..Activities for this weekend

  7. rachel says:

    Thank God everyone is safe. Most important!

    Take care

    rachels last blog post..Update on Siew Yuk

  8. Hijackqueen says:

    The corn can turn into popcorn liao! If you want to clean the burnt stain in the pot, go buy Tupperclean. not bad la. it also depend on how badly the pot was burnt.

  9. Ha!~ Geng!

    lil prince’s mums last blog post..Joining 2 words

  10. Angie says:

    Lucky there was no major damages other than on the pressure cooker.

    Angies last blog post..A Big Scare…

  11. laundryamah says:

    strange that the pressure cooker did not emit the whistling sound wor..but then again, u mentioned the speaker was quite loud…accidents liddis happen la..

    laundryamahs last blog post..Chapalang..

  12. chooi peng says:

    lucky no one is hurt…

  13. Angeline says:

    Oh my! Lady Luck was definitely with you…. it could have been devastating if it had exploded.

    Angelines last blog post..This and That

  14. leeyen says:

    good thing nobody is hurt! u know, i found almost all the men tend to be more neglectful! my man forgot the boiling water until we came back from dinner outside! the water had not much left inside the pot! see!

    leeyens last blog post..Kite Flying

  15. michelle says:

    I got this timer power point that can help save the day. You can set it to a period of time and it will switched off by itself. You can get it from Tesco.

  16. wah…. if it was me, i think i dare not even release the pressure. takut explode lor…
    lucky no one is hurt. I’m using wmf, and i warn my maid to leave my pressure cooker alone. i told her,,, you don’t know how to use.. one day explode in your face.. hehehe..
    anyway, lucky no one is hurt and no fire.

    coffeesncookiess last blog post..Yulik Char Siu Meen

  17. Jenny says:

    Alamak!!! πŸ˜› Thank God u all or ok! πŸ™‚

  18. 2ma says:

    luckily no one is hurt! but funny la u, ask your hubby hang a timer on his neck *haha*

    2mas last blog post..Day 2 @ Malacca (20 Apr 2009)

  19. KIttyCat says:

    OMG, so dangerous! That’s why I don’t really like pressure cookers. Ya, definitely an egg timer πŸ™‚

    KIttyCats last blog post..A work-at-home Mother’s schedule

  20. yvonne says:

    Holy Moly that was close! Come to think of it, turning on the burner and leaving them unattended is not something uncommon. It happened to me also, just that in my case there were still a bit of water inside. Grrgggghhhh…..

  21. Alan says:

    You should tell him to drink the soup cold next time. =) Too hot in Penang to be drinking hot soup.

  22. jacss says:

    wei…this sounds scarry!! hopefully everyone has learnt this lesson hard & thk god no disaster happen!!

    jacsss last blog post..We are MOVING away …..

  23. wen says:

    phew! luckily u were there!

  24. Annie Q says:

    Phew! Lucky all of you are safe.

    Annie Qs last blog post..My Creation Part 19

  25. sasha says:

    luckily everyone is okay. and luckily u’re there and luckily u have sensitive nose to smell the burning otherwise susah.

    sashas last blog post..One of my Oumaikot day

  26. a-moms-diary says:

    Good thing nothing untowards happened. Hubby once also forgot that he was boiling water on the stove, and we went out for dinner. When we came back, I could smell something burning the moment I stepped out of the car.

  27. c~tan says:

    it’s funny. luckily all of u guys are safe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s